Tuesday, March 9, 2021

1992 Topps McDonald's Baseball's Best Obligatory Variation post

 I got a message over at the Trading Card Database this afternoon informing me that indexing the two variations of the 1992 Topps McDonald's Baseball's Best set had been complete and that it may effect my collection.  So I went to check it out and then went into the Yount collection to see if I had one or both variations.  For those who don't know the 1992 Topps McDonald's Baseball's Best set is a very handsome, almost before it's time small set of 44 cards.  Distributed in 5 card cello packs available with a meal purchase back in 1992 (or at least that's what the Standard Catalog told me).  I'm not entirely sure what's up with the one asterisk vs the two asterisk variations, but they can be found all over Topps products from around this time frame.  Might have to do with printing plates, printings, or something else.  Regardless the two variations, while small and easily overlooked, do exist.  As for rarity?  Who knows?  While digging though the 1992 cards I found I had more two asterisks than one asterisk, but I only found 4 and quite digging once I realized I had an example of each.  Also it appears the whole 44 card set has the variation.  Check out the images below.  The front of the card is unaffected.






No comments:

Post a Comment