Thursday, March 11, 2021

1988 Donruss Variations

 Continuing our look at the variation cards Robin had in various Donruss products in the late 80s and early 90s, next up we have the three documented variations in the 1988 set.



Again the three variations are small, literally just a dot on one card and a factory set variation that has to do with the text on the back of the card.

Again, and this seems to be a reoccurring variation through the years, is the period missing on the INC in the copyright.





I have no idea on actual rarity but I looked through every 1988 Yount I had (about 50) and all of them had the period.  So I shot over to COMC which does differentiate between the pack and factory set version, but not the missing period variations and grabbed a copy for the collection.  (It'll only be a year before I actually get it though and I paid a bit of a premium for it.)

The factory set variation has to do with the text  on the bottom of the card.  The last line of the factory set starts with (367) where the pack varieties, both with and without the period on the INC, start with "total bases"



I ended up finding two mixed in with my 1988's so obviously slightly rarer than the pack cards, but Donruss still make tens, if not hundreds, of thousands boxed sets, so very findable.

No comments:

Post a Comment