Saturday, February 5, 2022

1991 Donruss - Retail vs Factory Set and how to spot the difference

 Greetings fellow Yount-o-philes. 

Over the last couple year's the diligent members of the Trading Card Database have been adding all the minutia variations from the junk wax era.  I was combing through my collection and the TCDb to see if I could add any of the new variations and I was able to add about 10 cards not previously parsed out.

I've posted about the common Donruss variation with the missing period at the end of Donruss Inc at least with the 88 set.  Another variation that affects the 1990 and 1991 sets are that the borders between the retail (or rather pack distributed) cards and the one's put in the boxed factory set are different.  It may be hard to see at first and if you didn't have both side by side the very 90s design might fly right by you.  But on closer inspection the two border designs are almost completely different.



I have  maybe 50 1991 Yount Donruss cards (maybe more I didn't count them up) and after looking through all of them I was only able to find one factory set specimen.  Of course the factory sets were produced in significantly smaller numbers than the various pack out items, but even so that could me cards produced around 100,000 instead of 1 million.  




1 comment: