Monday, October 8, 2018

1996 Bolton Teague Celebrity Softball Challenge Charity Card

Year: 1996
Set: Bolton Teague Celebrity Charity Softball Challenge
Card Number: NNO


I consider myself a pretty savvy collector.  Especially when it comes to Robin Yount's cards.  But I am continually reminded that there is always more to learn. Recently friend of the blog Alex T. messaged me and asked if I knew about the Bolton-Teague softball cards released in the late 90's?  More importantly did I know that Robin Yount had a card in the sets?  My answer was no to both questions.  Alex was nice enough to send a link to the a blog post over at the Oddball Card Collector that featured the set.  The cards are from a charity softball game put on by Michael Bolton, yes that Michael Bolton, and former Green Bay Packer George Teague.   The charity softball games were held for 5 years and for three of those years card sets were produced.  I don't know if was ever made clear if these were sold or giveaway at the games or were a thank for a donation, but what is clear that Robin is in two of the sets.  The 1996 date might be a little misleading as supposedly these cards feature the 1996 team, but were available at the 1997 game.  And if I remember correctly Robin is featured in the 1995 set available at the 1996 game and the other set featured the 1997 team available at the last game held in 1998.   But that might not be correct either.  Robin's card below came out of a gold pack and his other card came packaged in a silver pack, I have an image Alex set of the card and pack at the bottom of the post.  What confuses things is the date on the packs is the same.  So could both sets been available at the same game?  What is obvious is the as the sets progressed they got more and more ornate.  As the 1995 set is pretty plain, the 1996 set features some foil on the player name.  And the 1997 are even more embellished.  Beckett does have the final 1997 set listed on their website, but not the other two.  

Alex was gracious enough to send me a copy of Robin's 1996 card.  Which I can thank him enough.  It also means there aren't as many Yountless year's as I thought.  Thanks again Alex and thanks for the info.  



The 1995? Silver pack set

No comments:

Post a Comment