Thursday, November 19, 2015

1984 Gardner's Bakeries


Year: 1984
Manufacturer: Topps
Card Set: Gardner's Bakeries Baseball Series II
Card Number: 22
Card Type: Base - Food Issue/Oddball

I can remember back in the 80's my grandmother giving me the baseball cards that came out of Gardner's loafs.  She didn't give me this one, but it's still a nice memory, especially since she threw out my dad's baseball card collection.

Gardner's is a Wisconsin Bakery that has outlets all over the state and sells in pretty much every supermarket, or they did, I haven't gone bread shopping in Wisconsin in a long time.  Gardner's put out 3 sets in the mid 80's starting in 1983 with Series 1, then this set in 1984 Series II and a set in 1985.  Gardner's also put out a set in 1989.

I really like the Gardner sets from this time.  They look nothing like the regular Topps issues, except for the backs which are pretty indistinguishable from the 1984 baseball set, save for the numbering.  The fronts are designed well and are really bold and colorful. It's cards like this that make me long for the return of these oddball food issues that'll never happen.







No comments:

Post a Comment