Friday, June 26, 2015

1983 Sporting News Official Baseball Guide



Year: 1983
What: The Sporting News Official Baseball Guide


Back in April I post about some old panels I had picked up years ago.  Tony L over at Off Hiatus Sport Cards asked what they were in my Yount checklist.  I had to dig them out and after looking at them I was kind of stumped as well.  Back when I won them they were listed as SGM panels and I was a little disappointed when I got them to see that they were just cut outs of some magazine or book.  Well that got me thinking and doing a little searching and I concluded that they probably come from the 1983 Sporting News Official Baseball Guide, but without being able to actually look at the guide I couldn't know for sure.  

So after a little searching I found a copy for a penny on Amazon. Yep a whole penny, plus $3.99 shipping.  I can handle 4 bucks.  Not only that but the Guide features Robin on the cover so it was a win win for me.  I get a new piece of memorabilia and I get to find out if those panels were in the book.



Well I'm happy to report that the mystery is over and those panels did indeed come from this guide.  I guess someone decided to see if they could make a little money by cutting out panels and I guess they did because I bought two.

The book I received was an old library copy with the paperback cover being reinforced with acetate and the library number on the spine. Inside is piled full of statistics, write ups on the previous years season by team, and a great write up on the 1982 World Series, the Brewers one and only appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment