Saturday, December 15, 2018

1989 Topps Ames 20/20 Club

Year: 1989
Manufacture: Topps
Set: Ames 20/20 Club
Card Number: 33

Next up from the 2018 COMC Black Friday haul is this 1989 Topps Ames 20/20 Club card.  Ames was a chain of department stores headquartered in Connecticut.  At it's height Ames had 700 stores in 20 states (thank you Wikipedia).  Ames teamed up with Topps in 1989 and again in 1990 to produce a couple box sets.  This is another card I swore I already owned.  I know I have multiple copies of Robin's 1990 Ames All-Stars card.  But for a couple quarters I filled another hole.  I guess I didn't realize when I picked this card out that it was so badly mis-cut, but that really doesn't bother me. 

 The 20/20 refers to a player getting 20 home runs and 20 stolen bases in a single season.  Like all the box sets from around this time it's chalked full of superstars and now HOFers.  Complete box sets can be found for cheaper than what these sold for in 1989.  These cards really do have a nice design and the super glossy fronts were a nice touch compared to the flagship cards of the day.





1 comment:

  1. I hated when Ames took over Hills. Hills was so much cooler than Ames. Both made card sets though, so they got that going for them. I've always loved boxed sets like this.

    ReplyDelete