Wednesday, January 11, 2017

The Year in Review - 2016

Well Yountophiles with the release of Panini National Treasures we've pretty much come to the end of another year of Yount card collecting.  This marks the third year I've tried to keep a detailed running checklist for card release featuring Robin Yount.  And while I strive to try and have to most complete list, I know I'm missing some cards.  Most notably are the online 5x7 and larger cards put out by Topps Online.  I do have some of them, but some cards were issued in sets and Topps seems to think that checklist for those sets don't matter I guess.  The other missing section are a lot of the HITS Cards cards.  Also because they don't maintain a good checklist on their website, although it's been awhile since I looked.  That being said knowing the areas I'm lacking I can try to correct as best I can.

Still this year we ended up with at least 217 new cards for Robin.  A lot of those were very limited higher end cards, but the budget collectors also had plenty to chase.  I didn't keep track of how many new Younts I acquired this year.  I probably could figure it out, but meh.  I ended the year with a cataloged 1103 items in my collection.  Not too shabby.  I have noticed discrepancies here and there in my blog list and my master spreadsheet.  The wife and I are in the process of trying to sell and buy a house so most of my collection is in storage, but one of my goals for the coming year is a thorough review of my collection.

Over at the Trading Card Database we ended the year with 5,247 cards listed on the site with just over a third of the cards having images uploaded.  That's not bad considering all the low numbered and 1 of 1 cards out there.

For the second year in a row I've sponsored Robin's player page on the site.

And I'm proud to say I'm the leading contributor of images for Robin's cards as well, it has almost become a mania with me.  I've also started actively adding missing checklists for sets and cleaning up checklists and sets that have sat way to long with out proper card labeling, notations, and teams.


Another interesting trend I've been noticing is that Robin's autograph cards have come way down in price.  Almost 30%.  That's not to say that older issues and some of the rarer cards still don't bring in big bucks, but just through observing lots of auctions I've noticed that the average price per autograph has dropped from about $50 to right around $30.  This was bound to happen with all the autos Topps and Panini have been releasing the past couple years.  But if you're a collector it's a great time to pick up some really nice and sometimes very rare cards for a decent price.

Well my dear fellow Yount collectors I hope you had a great holidays and here's to a great new year of card collecting!

1 comment:

  1. back at you. Beckett could take a lesson from you, they only show 245 releases for Robin in 2016.

    ReplyDelete