Monday, January 23, 2017

2005 Upper Deck Past Time Pennants


Year: 2005
Manufacturer: Upper Deck
Set: Past Time Pennants
Card Number: 70
Card Type: Base

Recently there was a discussion going around Twitter about what to call the base cards of a set, base or commons.  It's funny to me because when Panini bought Donruss a few years back and started putting out sets, their sell sheets referred to the base cards as commons.  And more than once I told Panini to stop calling the base cards commons.  Here's the thing the term common refers to the scarcity of the cards, so while the base set is most definitely the most numerous cards in a release and hence common, referring to them as the common set already denotes them as mostly worthless.  And for me and many other collectors that's just not true. 

I'm a big fan of the base set.  For me a modern card product is build like a pyramid.  With the base set as the foundation for the release.  It's what all the other inserts and parallels are built around.  It's probably the my biggest gripe with the industry as a whole as we are starting to see more and more sets released with no base cards at all.

I think the mid 2000's, especially 2005, epitomizes my pyramid analogy.  Especially just about every set Donruss and Upper Deck put out that year.  Past Time Pennants was no different.  Lots of parallels and inserts to chase.  But I still love a good base card.

A great action shot on the front and a nice write up on the back with Robin's 5 best year stats listed. For my money I would rather have 20 different base cards featuring Robin than one relic or auto card in my collection, but that's just me.





No comments:

Post a Comment