Tuesday, January 26, 2016

1990 Donruss Best of the American League


Year: 1990
Manufacturer: Donruss
Set: Best of the American League (Best of)
Card Number: 22
Card Type: Base


If you bought any 1990 Donruss, and I did, a lot, you probably got sick of it, which I did.  I don't really have any affection for the set.  I even nicknamed it the vomit set, since it kind of looks like someone spit up all over the border.   But Donruss put out a few other sets in 1990 and by then collector's were looking for something other than base flagship cards.  Fleer and Topps had been putting out small 44 card boxed sets for a few years and of course we got those lovely boxed update sets.  Donruss ramped it up a little with two 144 card boxed sets in 1990, one called Best of the National League and on called Best of the American League.  Both set used the 1990 card design, but changed the borders to blue.  I've also seen these sets just refered to as Best Of, or Best of the AL or NL.  I guess you'd have to know what league the player was playing in to know which set you had, unless you had a checklist somewhere since both sets were numbered 1 to 144 and no where on the card is does it tell you what set or league it's from.  The age of parallels and variations would start for a few more years, but it's too bad because I could have seen a whole rainbow of color parallels for the 1990 Donruss set,  neon yellow and pink, this was the early 90's remember, etc.

It's also nice they used different photos for this set and the Learning Series.  To be honest I think if this had been the flagship color I might have liked the set a little more.









No comments:

Post a Comment