Wednesday, March 21, 2018

All about the Base - 1985 Topps

Year:  1985
Manufacturer: Topps
Set: Flagship
Card Number: 340
Card Type: Base


Ah the mid-80's.  In 1985 the family moved to El Paso, Texas and I would spend a good part of my formative year's there.  It's also were I discovered sports cards and comic books.  Not that I didn't know they existed, but for the first time I can remember I actually cared.  But that would be another year or so.   The 1985 set marks another period in Topps history where they started playing it safe with similar, simple designs.  Again these are terrible, but they aren't all that memorable, well maybe with the exception of the 1987 set.  

I've always thought the design looked like bumper stickers.  With the team name and logo plastered on the card like a kid putting a bumper sticker on a car, but with most of the card elements on the bottom of the card it leave a lot of room up top for the player photo and for me that works pretty well.  I'm not a huge fan of the color scheme on the back of the card, the red and green clash and red lettering can be a little hard to read.   

But man look at the photo of Robin.  Flip up sunglasses, baby blue uni with the trucker hat and those wrist bands!!  Classic 80's, cue the Devo.


No comments:

Post a Comment