Thursday, March 8, 2018

All about the base - 1977 Topps

Year: 1977
Manufacturer: Topps
Set: Flagship
Card Number: 635
Card Type: Base

The late 70's Topps' sets all blend together for me.  When I'm looking through cards I continually have to look on the back to see what year it is sometimes.  The designs aren't terrible, but they don't show a lot of effort.  I guess that's what happens when you don't have much competition.  For Robin's third Topps card we get a nice action shot of what looks like Robin about to lay down a bunt.  

The overall card design, while pretty, basic has all the right elements.  The player name on the back of the card is huge. My one drawback is the card number is smaller this year and position pretty far down the card making box collation a little tougher.  I do like the that the back of the card is made to look like a billboard or scoreboard.  It's the little touches like that that makes me love the vintage Topps sets.  I also find it interesting that Topps mentions Robin's brother Larry, who has no baseball cards by the way and also has the distinct pleasure of being the only pitcher in MLB history to appear in the official record books but never faced a batter.



No comments:

Post a Comment