Tuesday, May 17, 2016

2016 Topps Series 1 Berger's Best insert

Year: 2016
Manufacturer: Topps
Set: Flaghip
Card Type: Insert
Insert Set Berger's Best
Card Number: BB-26


I made a pretty big stink when this card came out earlier this year.  I was pretty dumb struck by the egregious error Topps made when referencing one of their own cards.  If your a fan of this blog or Robin Yount and his baseball cards you know that Robin's first issued card was in 1975.  The 1975 set is pretty iconic with other great rookie cards like George Brett and Gary Carter to name a few.  While it's true that Robin's rookie year was 1974 Topps also seems to think it was the year they issued his first card.

Ahem, anyway.  Seems like every year Topps also has to put out a reprint insert and Berger's Best is this year's reprint insert. At least for Series 1.  This insert also has relic, autograph and autograph relic parallels and Robin is included in all three of those sets too.

I guess I should just count my blessings they included Brewer and Robin in the set.  





2 comments:

  1. Good catch. There's not a Topps base card in existence that I would make a mistake on identifying. There's a big difference between the '74T and '75T sets. I wonder what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a bit surprising this error made it through editing since Topps reprints Yount's rookie 75 card so often. When I saw the Brett Berger insert card (of his 1975 rookie card), I was half expecting the Yount Berger insert was also going to be a 1975 reprint - so at least it's refreshing that they went with another year.

    ReplyDelete