Thursday, May 19, 2016

2003 Donruss Champions Base


Year: 2003
Manufacturer: Donruss
Set: Champions
Card Number: 150
Card Type: Base

2003 was a year that if you were a set collector trying to put together every set you were screwed.  I may be wrong, but 2003 marked the pinnacle of the over crowded card market.  Not the over production, just the super saturation of the market with different sets.  If memory serves me there were over 400 sets produced that year.  That's more than one set a day!  I can remember walking into Don's Sportscards and just being overwhelmed.  But for a guy who liked to open a few packs of new stuff it was also kind of fun.  Sad thing is now I walk into the store and the shelves are mostly bare as new products are few and far between, especially with Topps starting to do online exclusive products more regularly.  I had always hoped there would be a happy medium, but that won't happen while Topps has the monopoly.  

But I digress.  2003 was a light year for Robin Yount cards. The Trading Card Database only lists 162 cards for him.  Compare that to 2005 with over 1000.   Champions focused on, well, champions and award winners.  Robin's card commemorates his 1989 MVP season.  The set also features a couple parallels.  The Metalized numbered to 100 and the Holofoil numbered to just 25 copies, I'm not sure if I've ever seen any of those cards and I definitely haven't seen any of his autograph parallels.  Most likely because there are only 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment