Thursday, April 3, 2014

2004 eTopps Classic Baseball

Card Manufacturer: Topps
Card Set: eTopps Classic
Year:  2004
Card Number: ETC49
Card Type: Base
Print Run: 1002
Note: Only available from the eTopps website, card is encased.

I featured this card a couple years ago, back when I got it in hand.  For those who don't remember the eTopps program, Topps had a website where they would issue exclusive cards every Monday. I remember that cards would go live at 12 noon EST, or 8am Alaska time, so I had my Monday morning routine down to check the website right as I got to work, because the issues or IPOs usually sold out within hours if not minutes.  During the life of the program Topps issued all sorts of cards depending on which sports licenses it had.  You could keep your cards in your account or when Topps actually produced them they were made available to ship to you.  Shipping was pricey and still is. You had the option of listing your cards on Topps' ebay trading floor, which is how Topps figured current card worth.  Topps shut down the program a few years ago, but the website is still up and portfolios are still there for now.  If current players met performance goals set by Topps you were awarded performance points which could be redeemed in the eTopps catalog for cools stuff, which usually sold out almost instantaneously.  Topps offered to allow you to use your performance points to pay for shipping when they shut down the program and I took advantage of it shipping every card I had that was available to ship.  That means I still have 15 or so cards in my portfolio.  Topps charges $12 for the first card and then something like an extra dollar per card shipped.  That a little steep Topps.  

Back in 2004 I was excited to see Robin get his own eTopps card. I ended up picking up two of these for my collection.  The scans really don't do this card justice. As with all eTopps cards these look incredible in hand.  And come encased and sealed with a Topps sticker. 

From 2002 to 2006 Topps issued 70 cards in this set.  20 in 2002, 2003, and 2004 and just 5 in 2005 and 2006. 

While this card isn't individually numbered like some of the later cards, according to the eTopps website there were only 1,002 cards produced, making it a fairly rare card.








No comments:

Post a Comment